Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Guardian Ad Litem-Advocating for the Best Interest of the Child

In adoptions, custody cases, and juvenile cases, the children are in need of a strong advocate to make sure that their best interests are served. Many times I represent parents in these cases, but I frequently am appointed by the Court to represent the children as Guardian Ad Litem (GAL).

The role of the guardian ad litem is to advocate for the child's best interest. To do this, I thoroughly investigate the child's situation. I meet with the child, the child's parents, and others who know the child well. I may review school records, interview teachers, and talk to counselors if appropriate. I also review reports submitted by various professionals that interact with the child.

Once I have a good handle on the child's situation, I usually will make recommendations as to how to resolve the case in a way that will be best for the child. Often it's difficult to get other parties involved to put aside their own interests to reach a settlement, but a vast majority of cases are resolved without a trial.

If we are unable to resolve the case prior to trial, I then make sure the judge has all the information necessary to make a good decision. I may also make recommendations to the Court after the trial.

The children often suffer the most when their parents are in Court, but as GAL, I do all I can to help ease the burden and make it easier for each of them as they move forward after the court process is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment